Saturday, June 25, 2005
Blogger Blues  

Yesterday morning (early), I found that there was a problem with the way that the posts were being display. I had been making a change to the template so I naturally assumed that I had caused the problem.

The danger of having some programming knowledge is that you may try to fix things when it would be best to leave well enough alone. As it turned out, I spent quite some time trying to find what was causing the formatting error. Although I located the problem, I had no idea why some extra tag was being added to the content of the post. I assumed that the blog host Blogger was doing this, but there was no way of knowing whether this had always been the case, and I still had made some change that was causing the error.

Finally, I learned from another forum that others who had not altered their template were finding strange formatting problems. Relief. I could stop working on the problem and start putting together a work-around. (I assumed that it would be some time before Blogger would correct the oversight.) I have implemented a work-around which is rather pathetic, but it works nonetheless.

The frustration which I felt is certainly not directed at Blogger. I am all too familiar with the modification to software which has unintended results. The efforts were well-intentioned, although the work was probably not thoroughly tested. No, actually I am rather annoyed with myself. I let my self get in the way of what I probably should have been doing. I have a hunch that if I had prayed about whether I needed to spend time trying to fix the "problem" I introduced, I would have spent the time in a somewhat different manner. It really is those little prayers that make a difference.

sine intermissione orate (1 Thess. 5:17)

Posted by David at 7:00 AM  |  Comments (0)  | 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment