Monday, February 09, 2004

I am ready for the pain

How many of us are ready to say this? As Fr. Sudano relates, Fr. Groeschel is able to say this:

The doctors have not suggested, but rather promised Father that his therapy will be very, very painful. Even today, one day after a (thank God) successful surgery, the therapist was gingerly working on Father's arm. Before the therapist began her regimen, she turned to Father and said with the utmost respect, "Father, this is going to be painful". What was Father B's response? "I am ready for the pain".

"I am ready for the pain". How many times have I said that in my life? Never. What about yourself? No doubt all of us would have done better in life if we could say to the Lord, "I am ready for the pain". Perhaps things would have turned out for the good if we didn't wimp out and whine like a six-year-old.

This is, no doubt, Father's Golgotha. He knows that. While he lies flat on a cross in the shape of a mattress, he says, "Thank you" to a friend - that's the working of Divine grace. Yet I also know that he is saying this to all his friends - to each of you - "thank you for being with me, thank you for not forgetting me, thank you for helping me carry my cross".

So, the next time we feel the cool dark shadow of a cross loom over us, be it a person, place or thing, let us be resolved to say the same, "I am ready for the pain". Father B, rest well. Tomorrow the cross will be there, and so will we.


May we, too, be able to say to Jesus that we are ready for the pain which He permits. Not my will, by Thy will be done.


Posted by David at 9:33 AM  |  Comments (0)  | 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment